Senior Technical Consultant
We’re looking for a Senior Technical Consultant to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment. For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
The Software Solutions Team is focused on advancing learning, fueled by data informed decision making. Blackboard’s Global Client Experience team works with clients to solve a wide variety of technology challenges. Using both industry standard and cutting-edge technologies, our consultants develop innovative, custom solutions that extend, enhance, and integrate Blackboard’s enterprise products. As a Senior Technical Consultant on this team, you will play an integral role in the success of the Software Solution team within Blackboard GCX Product Development.
A successful candidate will be able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and interface directly with clients to define requirements, draft specifications, and implement software solutions.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as an expert in Blackboard products, including their architecture, functionality, and deployment methodologies.
- Develop and lead on web application prototypes features in conjunction with Stack leadership, Business Analysts, and other developers.
- Design and document development tasks within system of record and helps other team members during implementation.
- Act as Sprint Planner, and leader of the development project
- Build web applications with modern Java, Server-Side and server less programming.
- Develop in an agile environment using web technologies.
- Create REST API using OpenAPI standards.
- Lead in code reviews.
- Be accountable for the project unit, integration, performance, and functional testing and results of the project
- Research and experiment with new technology that will advance future projects
- Help to create and maintain development guidelines and direction.
- Work with managers to estimate work tasks and level of effort within project timeline.
- Adhere to established delivery methodology, quality standards and best practices.
- All job duties described above require a flexible work schedule to meet client needs.
- Must be available to travel up to 20%.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent relevant Bachelor's degree experience.
- Minimum 5 years or prior relevant experience
- 3+ years of software development lifecycle and associated processes.
- Strong skills at OpenAPIs REST engineering using object-oriented Java, async event management, using server side libraries and/or server less micro service frameworks.
- Master skills at backend engineering using object-oriented Java- Spring, Java-Dropwizard MongoDB/DynamoDB, Postgress and other libraries.
- Fluently in cloud based – micro services design and loosely couple architecture patters.
- Demonstrable understanding of web tokens, data transformations, transitions and events driven design.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate user-centered design principles into the architecture and design of user interfaces.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), analytical and organizational skills in English.
- Proven ability to learn new technologies as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a geographically distributed virtual team environment and to build relationships with internal and external organizations.
- Demonstrated time management and prioritization skills, and ability to manage expectations effectively when handling multiple assignments simultaneously with competing deadlines.
- Exceptional attention to detail, excellent work ethic and drive, great interpersonal skills, team oriented, and demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Fundamental understanding of bug tracking, versioning and repository systems.
- 2-5+ years of experience on a client facing consulting capacity.
- Previous experience in the education or knowledge management industry and e-learning technologies, including at least six months specifically with Blackboard technologies.
- Fundamental understanding of AGILE software development process methods.
- General experience with Swager.
- Fluency in server-side pre-processing platforms.
- Fundamental use of standard digital tools (e.g. Lucid Charts & Confluence).
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git/Stash/GitHub.
- Experience with mobile optimized REST APIs
- Fundamental understanding of key usages of Jira Bug Tracking, Jira Agile and versioning and repository systems.
- Fundamental understanding of key usages of Amazon Web Services, Docker, versioning and repository systems.
- Good working knowledge of server platforms (Linux/Unix)
- Working knowledge with behavior-driven development (BDD), unit-testing frameworks like JUNIT and automatized functional testing infrastructures.
- Experience in Spring MVC, Dropwizard using Java.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national original, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military/veteran status, or any other protected factor.