We’re looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
As a member of our Product Development organization, you’ll work in an agile environment delivering industry-leading SaaS products and web service platforms. You’ll be deeply involved in translating wireframes and sketches into working prototypes to refine user interface behaviors. As Staff Software Engineer, your specific responsibilities will include:
- Participating in hands-on technical design, coding, and implementation of product features
- Technical collaborating with Architects and Product Designers contributing to the overall architectural vision of cloud service infrastructure in support of Blackboard’s notification products
- Enhancing and supporting existing cloud-based products; designing and implementing new features; assessing and paying down technical debt
- Communicating progress and escalating issues to management in a timely manner
- Participating in agile planning and execution
- Acting as a lead engineer on a development team responsible for developing and testing features or fixing bugs on our industry-leading Community Engagement products
- Developing broad and deep knowledge on our current software architecture and helping define our next generation architecture
- Coaching and mentoring junior team members; performing peer code reviews and delivering feedback
- Collaborating in a cross-functional agile team to solve challenging technical problems with innovative solutions
- Following best practices and methodologies to produce desired software on time with top notch quality
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 8-10 years of experience with web application development
- Exceptional object-oriented and coding skills, preferably with C# .NET
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures and RESTful Web Service best practices
- Ability to design and develop scalable, distributed, high availability applications in the cloud via API-based microservices
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate beneficial software design patterns and identify performance anti-patterns
- Hands-on experience with SQL Programming (MS SQL Server)
- Experience participating in agile and fast-paced software development methodologies like XP or Scrum
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Experience with Java or Python programming
- Experience in frontend frameworks like Angular or React
- Experience working with various notification API suites (Twilio, Open Market)
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.