Staff DevOps Engineer
Remote - Colombia
*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
We’re looking for a Staff DevOps Engineer to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
At Blackboard, we believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices, but who we are as a company.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
Blackboard’s Release Engineering organization is responsible for the platform delivery and CI/CD pipelines of our critical product lines. They automate industry-leading SaaS applications that are used by millions of end users every day. They are a driven, creative, and energetic team that works in a flexible and agile fashion to deliver world-class products to the education market. The DevOps team drives, designs, and implements our DevOps methodology at a global scale.
As a Staff DevOps Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting an always-available hosted cloud platform as well as identifying and driving opportunities to improve automation for deployment, management, and tooling. You’ll stay up to date on the latest cloud development and deployment technologies and bring the latest tools and techniques to achieve optimal results and SLA’s.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Working effectively in an agile DevOps team to deliver quality products and improve operational performance
- Developing automation tools for maintenance, troubleshooting, and administration
- Configuring and managing performance monitoring tools and notification services
- Maintaining documentation of process, procedures, and reference information
- Developing and testing proper back-up and disaster recovery procedures
- Working cross-functionally with others from Product Development and Product Management on product enhancements and deploys; supporting on customer issues
- Breaking down large/complex problems and being involved in the process of designing and implementing solutions
- BS in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of experience in system administration or software engineering
- Experience deploying and administering applications on Amazon Web Services or similar public cloud providers
- A solid understanding of Build Engineering and Configuration Management
- Ability to thrive in a team environment where strong communication is key
- Tenacity and excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrable scripting experience, ideally in Python, Ruby, PHP, Bash, SQL, or Java
- A knowledge of network and application security, network administration, and network storage integration
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience with Docker or another containerization technology
- Experience with large-scale software development processes and multi-region deployments
- Experience with Chef and/or other automation frameworks like Puppet, Vagrant, or Ansible
- Relational Database administration experience, preferably in MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Experience with New Relic or similar application performance monitoring tools
- Prior experience within the education industry and/or with e-learning technologies
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard Inc. is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: BB-3232