Software Support Specialist
Remote - Colombia
*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
Recently combined with Anthology, Blackboard offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. The company’s mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about our company and career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
Our Client Support team has a proven track record of delivering high quality technical support to our customer base. As Software Support Specialist, you will primarily interface with our Tier 2 Support and Service Delivery teams.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Providing multi-level database troubleshooting and technical support to Tier 2 Client Support staff
- Working closely with Tier 2 Client Support staff as well as acting as interface between Tier 2 and Product Development/Engineering/third-party vendors
- Working closely with Product Development and Implementation teams to resolve client issues
- Performing fault reproduction and troubleshooting, system characterization and analysis, root cause analysis of product issues, and bug tracking and resolution
- Addressing software defects and advanced customer issues with timely resolutions
- Working with QA, Development, and Operations teams on understanding issues and steps needed to resolve the issues
- Suggesting enhancements to the existing algorithms and services
- Coding web-based Java applications running on Windows, Linux, and Solaris environments, focused on support activities
- Using the latest tools and techniques (e.g. J2EE, C#, XML, Web Services, EAI toolkit)
- Addressing software defects with timely resolution
- 2-5+ years of experience in software development
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- Proficiency in Software Engineering Principles, Database Design, Web application development
- Proficiency in interpreting Java Thread and Heap Dumps along with JVM Runtime Platform Technologies
- Proficiency in interpreting Database Query Execution Plans, AWR Report, and Wait Event Stats
- Experience coding web-based Java applications running on Windows, Linux, and Solaris environments, focused on support activities
- Experience developing and automating Java Unit tests using JUnit and JUnitPerf
- Experience using the latest tools and techniques (J2EE, XML, Web Services)
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Knowledge of Unix Shell scripting
- Familiarity with databases in a Java application environment
- Knowledge of Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL Database environments
- Knowledge of database maintenance and analysis utilizing Oracle Admin Tools
- Knowledge of clustered environments and Load balancer configuration
- Experience with deep-dive analysis of enterprise products running on AWS utilizing Application Performance Monitoring tools such as New Relic or VisualVM
- Experience troubleshooting installations and upgrades of Oracle and MS SQL Databases
- Experience working with a global team
- Experience in the education industry and with e-learning technologies
Blackboard has an office located in Bogota, Colombia as a hub for the LAC market.
- Located in Capital Towers center in the financial district
- Excellent and secure area to eat lunch, have a walk, or dine after office hours
- Benefits in prepaid medicine, dental plan, and wellness allowance
- Easy access to public transportation close to two important avenues, Carrera 7 and Calle 100
- Free parking for employees and paid parking for visitors
- Multiple private spaces for virtual and face-to-face meetings
- Regular events like bring your dog to work day and ping-pong, foosball, and Mario Kart tournaments
- Sodexo card provided for employees
- Daily budget to spend on beverage vending machines
- Learn more about the Bogota office culture by checking out our Facebook page
- Option for remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: BB-3426