*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
We’re looking for a Tier 3 Support Engineer to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
Our Client Support team has a proven track record of delivering high quality technical support to our customer base. As Tier 3 Support Engineer, you will primarily interface with our Tier 2 Support and Service Delivery teams. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Providing multi-level database troubleshooting and technical support to Tier 2 Client Support staff
- Working closely with Tier 2 Client Support staff as well as acting as interface between Tier 2 and Product Development/Engineering/third-party vendors
- Working closely with Product Development and Implementation teams to resolve client issues
- Performing fault reproduction and troubleshooting, system characterization and analysis, root cause analysis of product issues, and bug tracking and resolution
- Addressing software defects and advanced customer issues with timely resolutions
- Working with QA, Development, and Operations teams on understanding issues and steps needed to resolve the issues
- Suggesting enhancements to the existing algorithms and services
- Coding web-based Java applications running on Windows, Linux, and Solaris environments, focused on support activities
- Using the latest tools and techniques (e.g. J2EE, C#, XML, Web Services, EAI toolkit)
- Developing and automating Java Unit tests using JUnit and JUnitPerf
- Addressing software defects with timely resolution
- Working with other developers to set standards and define best practices for coding and design
- Effectively communicating and collaborating with different team members to help inform one another about how to create features without jeopardizing other application or product areas
- 2-5+ years of experience in software development
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in teams
- Exceptional listening, written, and oral communication skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- Proficiency in Software Engineering Principles, Database Design, Web application development (preferably in Java/J2EE WebLogic, Struts, Tomcat)
- Proficiency with multiple computer operating systems (Unix/Linux and Windows)
- An understanding of Database structures and database administration principles
- Ability to work with both technical and non-technical individuals in gathering information and communicating direction
- Direct technical customer support experience in a 24x7 support environment
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Knowledge of Unix Shell scripting
- Familiarity with databases in a Java application environment
- Knowledge of Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL Database environments
- Knowledge of database maintenance and analysis utilizing Oracle Admin Tools
- Knowledge of clustered environments and Load balancer configuration
- Experience with deep-dive analysis of enterprise products running on AWS utilizing Application Performance Monitoring tools such as New Relic or VisualVM
- Experience troubleshooting installations and upgrades of Oracle and MS SQL Databases
- Experience working with a global team
- Experience in the education industry and with e-learning technologies
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.