*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
We’re looking for a Principal Technical Consultant- Full Stack to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
Blackboard’s Consulting Software Solutions team works with clients to solve a wide variety of technology challenges. Using both industry standard and cutting-edge technologies, our consultants develop innovative, custom solutions that extend, enhance, and integrate Blackboard’s enterprise products. As Principal Technical Consultant- Full Stack on this team, you will play an integral role in the success of the Software Solution team within Blackboard Consulting Services. You will work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and interface directly with clients to define requirements, draft specifications, and implement software solutions.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Serving as an expert in Blackboard products, including their architecture, functionality, and deployment methodologies
- Developing and leading on web application prototypes features in conjunction with Architects, Business Analysts, and other developers
- Designing and documenting development tasks within system of record and helping other team members during implementation
- Acting as Scrum Master, Sprint Planner, and leader of the development project
- Building web applications with modern Java, Server-Side programming and TypeScript
- Developing in an agile environment of back end web technologies
- Creating REST API using OpenAPI standards
- Leading in code reviews
- Being accountable for the project unit, integration, performance, and functional testing and results of the project
- Researching and experimenting with new technology that will advance future projects
- Helping to create and maintain development guidelines and direction
- Working with managers to estimate work tasks and level of effort within project timeline
- Adhering to established delivery methodology, quality standards and best practices
- All job duties described above require a flexible work schedule to meet client needs
- This role requires approximately 20% travel
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Design (e.g. user interaction, graphic, visual components, product) or equivalent experience
- Minimum 8 years of prior relevant experience
- 5+ years of software development lifecycle and associated processes
- Strong skills at OpenAPIs REST engineering using object-oriented Java, Async event management, using server side libraries and micro service frameworks
- Master skills at backend engineering using object-oriented Java- Spring, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Postgres and other libraries
- Fluent in cloud based – micro services design and architecture
- Demonstrable understanding of HTML/CSS3, such as transformations, transitions and events driven design
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate user-centered design principles into the architecture and design of user interfaces
- Excellent communication (oral and written), analytical, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to learn new technologies as needed
- Demonstrated ability to work in a geographically distributed virtual team environment and to build relationships with internal and external organizations
- Demonstrated time management and prioritization skills, and ability to manage expectations effectively when handling multiple assignments simultaneously with competing deadlines.
- Exceptional attention to detail, excellent work ethic and drive, great interpersonal skills, team oriented, and demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Fundamental understanding of bug tracking, versioning, and repository systems
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- 2-5+ years of experience on a client facing consulting capacity
- Previous experience in the education or knowledge management industry and e-learning technologies, including at least six months specifically with Blackboard technologies
- Fundamental understanding of sequence design process (waterfall) and agile software development process methods
- General experience with Swager
- Fluency in server-side pre-processing platforms
- Fundamental use of standard digital tools (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, Omnigraffle, Balsamic)
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git/Stash/GitHub and Perforce
- Experience with mobile optimized REST APIs
- Fundamental understanding of key usages of Confluence, Jira Bug Tracking, Jira Agile (GreenHopper) and versioning and repository systems
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image; familiarity with tools such as Gimp or Photoshop
- Good working knowledge of server platforms (Linux/Unix, Windows Server 2003-2008)
- Working knowledge with behavior-driven development (BDD), unit-testing frameworks like JUNIT and automatized functional testing infrastructures
- Experience in Spring MVC using Java
This position can be located from remote (home office) in Colombia or in our Bogota, Colombia office location.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.