We’re looking for a Staff Database Administrator to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
As Staff Database Administrator within the Operations organization at Blackboard, you will support multiple databases in traditional hosting and cloud environments for Oracle and Postgres. You will perform database and system troubleshooting relating performance of the Blackboard application. You’ll use your experience working in production DevOps environment hosted on Linux operating system to be successful in this role.
Position responsibilities will include:
- Working with migration team to execute cross platform migration of database and application
- Using command line Linux skills to perform various tasks
- Working with various teams to provide database support and troubleshooting for Oracle and Postgres environment
- Developing ad hoc queries in both Oracle and PostgreSQL databases
- Performing routine database maintenance as required
- Enhancing and developing scripts for reporting, data manipulation, and automation of administration tasks
- Participating in continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality, including performing proactive maintenance such as ensuring continued space availability, monitoring activity, and documenting problems, changes, and solutions
- Responding to escalations and attending follow-up meetings
- Developing, documenting, and training team members on new solutions or procedures
- Administering, managing, and tuning high-transaction production server environment(s)
- Detecting and resolving issues related to CPU; Memory; I/O disk space etc., which indirectly necessitates strong OS knowledge
- Participating in 24x7 on-call rotation and being available to perform periodic after-hours support
- 12+ years of experience supporting large database
- Hands-on command line experience with database administration tasks for Oracle and Postgres
- Strong experience in troubleshooting performance problems, query tuning, and optimization
- Strong experience working on cloud environment involving various database services, preferably on AWS
- Willingness to learn and adapt to fast pace environment
- Ability to work within team structure to develop innovative solutions to common issues
- Prior experience working in DevOps environment
- Experience with troubleshooting of advance database issues
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Skilled in Linux, Postgres, Oracle, performance tuning, shell scripting
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Previous experience in the education industry and e-learning technologies
- Background in content/knowledge management, digital asset management, as well as with education related technologies
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employmentâ€¯without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.