Senior Data Scientist
Remote – Colombia
*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
We’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
At Blackboard, we believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices, but who we are as a company.
For more information about Blackboard and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
The Blackboard Data & Analytics Team is responsible for a diverse and impact-oriented set of products and capabilities at Blackboard. We are focused on launching and growing a brand-new, incredibly differentiated Education Analytics platform and community of practice. This position sits within the Product Management organization and collaborates with both Blackboard’s Analytics community and a team of engineers to conduct data science projects. This is a highly impactful role at a highly impactful moment in time for education. You’ll have the opportunity to use, understand, and advance applications in education to improve educational and institutional outcomes. You’ll develop data models and support delivery of insights and applications that help users at institutions illuminate education-related issues, including assessment and learning analytics, evaluation and prediction of learner success, instructional practice optimization, curriculum choices, and content delivery strategy.
A successful candidate is curious and engaging, and a strong and thoughtful collaborator.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing and validating approaches to produce and present insights which will be implemented in product
- Developing sophisticated data models to support high value reporting and analytics in support of teaching and learning
- Designing, developing, implementing, and maintaining data models that support the delivery of new products in support of teaching and learning effectiveness
- Bringing expertise and energy for data-driven decision making and assisting in providing industry leading edge solutions to our community
- Utilizing knowledge of data science concepts including statistics, data analysis, data mining, data visualization, and predictive analytics to support various product and business needs
- Meeting with departmental business leaders to help define reporting, research, or analysis requirements
- Leading a discipline and practice of data both within the company and within our client community
- Acting as a liaison and subject matter expert with key internal stakeholders (e.g. application development, engineering, client business partners)
- Engaging in discussions on strategic direction of product from a client perspective
- Presenting research or approach in client-facing contexts
- Researching, sharing, and applying best practices in data analysis, data mining and visualization
- Staying up to date on industry changes to digital measurement (e.g., new devices and platforms, privacy laws updates, changes in browser/app measurement, etc.) and critically assessing how they might influence approach, direction, or strategy
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Experience working with educational datasets at scale
- Experience collaborating and participating in web-based communities (e.g., academic, data science, analytics, visualization)
- Understanding (or knowledge) of Machine Learning and AI Techniques
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- Master’s in mathematics, statistics, quantitative social sciences, or hard sciences (e.g. engineering, computer science, biology, physics, etc.) with outstanding analytical expertise and strong technical leadership or equivalent relevant experience
- Experience using or analyzing data related to Blackboard’s suite of products and/or services
- Experience working in the context of an educational institution or university
- Big Data experience
- 3+ years of work experience focusing on the following:
- Background in theoretical statistics including but not limited to multivariate statistics and data reduction techniques
- Experience in dissecting/adapting statistical and mathematical theory to solve real world problems
- Familiarity with a large range of open source statistical tools/functions
- Developing robust statistical models to solve complex data driven problems
- Coding in data science-related programming languages (e.g., Python, R)
- Leading and managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent communication & presentation skills (written and oral)
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
Blackboard has an office located in Bogota, Colombia as a hub for the LAC market.
- Located in Capital Towers center in the financial district
- Excellent and secure area to eat lunch, have a walk, or dine after office hours
- Benefits in prepaid medicine, dental plan, and wellness allowance
- Easy access to public transportation close to two important avenues, Carrera 7 and Calle 100
- Free parking for employees and paid parking for visitors
- Multiple private spaces for virtual and face-to-face meetings
- Regular events like bring your dog to work day and ping-pong, foosball, and Mario Kart tournaments
- Sodexo card provided for employees
- Daily budget to spend on beverage vending machines
- Learn more about the Bogota office culture by checking out our Facebook page
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: BB-3840