Senior Scrum Master
We’re looking for a Senior Scrum Master to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
As Senior Scrum Master, you will serve as the servant leader for your team(s) by ensuring clear communication and helping the team reach its goal. You will coach the team on the appropriate Agile methodology (Scrum/Kanban/SAFe/etc.) focused on predictable, quality delivery, and driving continuous improvement of the team. You’ll facilitate team productivity by removing impediments that may obstruct the pursuit of the team’s goals and by preserving flexibility and ability to rapidly respond to changes on the team.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Serving as Senior Scrum Master for Scrum teams of varying levels of complexity, including highly complex teams
- Assessing Agile maturity within immediate Scrum teams and organization as a whole
- Facilitating Scrum ceremonies and providing coaching to further improve Agile maturity of teams via daily Scrum, retrospectives, sprint planning, and demonstrations
- Ensuring team maintains focus on quality and continuous delivery of business value
- Helping team proactively identify impediments, consistently recommending solutions, and, in some cases, removing impediments yourself
- Coaching your team through SAFe ceremonies like Program Increment (PI) planning and Inspect and Adapt workshops
- Representing the team(s) in regular Scrum of Scrums meetings and clearly communicating team accomplishments, impediments, and dependencies, as part of an Agile Release Train (ART)
- Assisting management with creating structural and cultural changes within teams to become more Agile
- Acting as an influencer by implementing Agile processes, practices, principles, and values; helping team and organization to improve collaboration and self-organization
- Demonstrating the ability to balance data with other factors when making decisions
- Utilizing team feedback, analyzing data, and reporting on team factors such as quality, delivery rate, throughput, productivity, and velocity
- Identifying areas of opportunity, points of success, and failure within team and organization, and communicating these findings to improve team efficiency/delivery
- Demonstrating ability to identify process inefficiencies, recommend solutions, and influence teams cross-functionally
- Reviewing the processes, practices, and outcomes of junior-level Scrum Masters and acting as a coach
- Being a go-to person for Agile and SAFe knowledge and coaching in the Chennai offices
- Bachelor’s degree or related work experience
- 5+ years of Agile or other related experience
- A strong understanding of and enthusiasm for Agile
- Experience with scaling Agile particularly using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to pay accurate and precise attention to detail
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships with the Scrum team and stakeholders
- Comfortable working with multiple teams, both in-house and remote
- Scrum Alliance CSM or PMI’s Agile Certified Professional
- Strong experience with SAFe
- SAFe 5 Agilist or SAFe 5 Practitioner or other SAFe certifications
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.