Systems Operations Specialist IV
We’re looking for a Service Operations Lead to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
We are seeking an experienced, motivated, and detail-oriented Service Operations Lead to join our product and support operations team. As Service Operations Lead, you will act as a liaison and coordinate internal efforts to obtain issue resolution for reported escalated issues that have a significant impact on the business or affect productivity.
Position responsibilities will include:
- Identifying, analyzing, and initiating the escalation process based on the escalation criteria specified by the organization
- Ensuring systems stay running in a stable state and are meeting SLA requirements
- Leading improvements by monitoring and developing dashboards to proactively monitor trends and customer escalations and use data to recommend technical and/or business process changes to meet expectations and/or optimize productivity
- Translating technical concepts to peers, management, leadership, and customers
- Defining and implementing improvements and meeting SLAs
- Providing regular status reports to management on application status and other metrics as required
- Coordinating escalation and resolution of major service issues
- Playing the role of Incident Commander by reporting promptly to management and business partners regarding critical outages until resolution
- Working closely with operations team and leading the incident & change management system
- Ensuring that all IT teams follow the incident management process for every incident
- Taking responsibility for customer escalations and acting as a point of escalation both in and out of hours as required
- Ensuring quality, up-to-date documentation exists for all service arrangements
- Ensuring operational procedures and practices are well defined, documented and consistently applied
- Working efficiently with Product, DevOps, Operations, Support and Engineering teams to design and scope incident or escalation management procedures
- Working closely with support teams and updating status page for critical site issues
- Creating Incident Reports as required
- Acting as handoff manager for operation issues & escalations between time zones
- Working during US business hours
- 6+ years of overall experience in production operations & escalations management
- At least 3 years of experience as incident manager for high priority applications
- Ability to support US and IST hours; comfort working in both shifts
- Experience working with 24x7x365 Operations and Virtualized Hosting support team
- Strong understanding of support incident, change and problem management process (ITIL)
- Ability to effectively drive root cause analysis calls and provide updates to management about the RCA progress, preventative actions, and their status
- Experience creating and maintaining SOPs
- Experience working with global teams
- Experience in ticketing tools like ServiceNow, JSD, etc.
- Experience with Agile methodologies and Kanban
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to track problems to resolution, identify risks in the product based on versions, releases, changes etc.
- ITIL certified professional. Expert knowledge of ITIL disciplines
- Excellent leadership and people management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility
- A passion for Service Improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related area of study, or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in the education industry and with e-learning technologies
- Background in content/knowledge management or digital asset management
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
Blackboard has an office in one of the biggest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India: Chennai.
- Located on OMR, the IT corridor of South Chennai
- Easy access to Velachery, Thiruvanmiyur Railway station and bus stop
- Very close to Tidel Park, Ascendas, and SRP Tools – Holiday Inn
- Office provides lunch Tuesday – Thursday and evening snacks Monday – Friday
- Office is situated behind Hotel Turyaa on the 5th floor of Rayala Techno Park
- Fun Committee, Happy Fete Team, Food Committee, and Sports Committee ensures fun at work
- ISR Team actively engages employees in contributing to various local charities
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.