Senior Software Engineer
Remote – Colombia
*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
Recently combined with Anthology, Blackboard offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. The company’s mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about our company and career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
This role focuses on Blackboard Learn, where we pride ourselves on creating well-designed web and mobile solutions to support learners, instructors, and administrators. Blackboard Learn allows learners and instructors to access online educational experiences wherever and whenever they want through web and mobile devices. Our technology helps instructors breathe life into educational content, brings efficiency to day-to-day tasks, and empowers instructors with tools to engage and assess every learner. We help motivate learners by promoting collaboration, communication, and connections with their peers and instructors.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Working in an agile environment; participating in agile planning and execution
- Participating in hands-on technical design, coding, and implementation of product features and improvements
- Enhancing and supporting existing cloud-based products; designing and implementing new features; assessing and paying down technical debt
- Responding to the unique challenges of delivering and maintaining cloud-based software including troubleshooting live production environments, minimizing downtime, and responding to client-reported issues
- Communicating progress and escalating issues to management in a timely manner
- Acting as an engineer on a development team responsible for developing and testing features or fixing bugs on our industry-leading products
- Developing broad and deep knowledge on existing software architecture
- Assisting with mentoring junior team members
- Collaborating in a cross-functional agile team to solve challenging technical problems with innovative solutions
- Following best practices and methodologies including coding and testing to produce scalable software on time with high quality
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5-7+ years of experience with web application development using Java and relational databases
- Strong experience designing, writing, and deploying scalable software
- Exceptional object-oriented design and Java coding skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills, ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- Quick learner with strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Ability to work with a team of engineers on cross-functional agile projects
- Deep understanding of data structures, algorithm analysis, and design skills
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate beneficial software design patterns and identify performance anti-patterns
- Knowledge of cloud-based hosting solutions (AWS)
- Experience in frontend frameworks like Angular or React
- Knowledge of Microservices architecture
- Experience scaling applications to meet growing business needs
Blackboard has an office located in Bogota, Colombia as a hub for the LAC market.
- Located in Capital Towers center in the financial district
- Excellent and secure area to eat lunch, have a walk, or dine after office hours
- Benefits in prepaid medicine, dental plan, and wellness allowance
- Easy access to public transportation close to two important avenues, Carrera 7 and Calle 100
- Free parking for employees and paid parking for visitors
- Multiple private spaces for virtual and face-to-face meetings
- Regular events like bring your dog to work day and ping-pong, foosball, and Mario Kart tournaments
- Sodexo card provided for employees
- Daily budget to spend on beverage vending machines
- Learn more about the Bogota office culture by checking out our Facebook page
- Option for remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: BB-3767