Systems Operations Specialist II
We’re looking for a Systems Operations Specialist II to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
This role falls within Blackboard’s Learn Operations organization, which is responsible for managing projects and ongoing improvements for our flagship Learn application in both our managed hosting and cloud SaaS offerings.
As Systems Operations Specialist II, you will join the team responsible for delivering over three thousand high performance and highly available Web applications to our clients by troubleshooting, tuning, and configuring their entire technology stack including Apache web server, Tomcat application server, Linux operating system, and Oracle/PostgreSQL database server in a traditional hosting and cloud environment.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Documenting processes, methods, procedures, and tools for diagnosing and fixing known bugs and problems and for performing common tasks
- Documenting and escalating application bugs with detailed analysis to the Tier 2 team
- Providing Incident Management support for production systems
- Monitoring the IT infrastructure with various monitoring tools (e.g. New Relic, VictorOps, Nagios, etc.)
- Acknowledging and owning infrastructure alerts related to servers, network, application, etc.
- Initiating and driving bridge to handle critical issues and acting as main point of contact for all technical support teams
- Sending incident notifications as per required time interval for ongoing incidents/alerts
- Analyzing, acknowledging, and working on every alert in the monitoring tool and handing the alert as per the urgency and impact
- Routing alerts to technical tracks as per the issue
- Initiating bridge to resolve the issue ASAP, if required
- Being part of production support team that operates 24x7x365
- Participating in on-call rotation as required
- Auditing production system configuration and software changes as required
- Performing daily checklist procedures
- Executing Change Requests for software upgrades and configurations across enterprise systems
- 3-5+ years of experience in Unix or Linux systems administration and high skill level in using its common tools and utilities (e.g. Top, Sar, VMstat, IOstat, and Netstat)
- Experience managing services like Samba, Apache, Iptables, HAProxy, SFTP, and FTP
- Knowledge of installing, configuring, troubleshooting, and tuning Apache web server, Tomcat, or WebLogic application servers and Linux operating systems in a large 24x7 production environment
- Experience analyzing Java/JVM performance using tools such as thread and heap dumps with an understanding of JVM memory structure and garbage collection concepts
- Experience in Monitoring tools like New Relic, Nagios, Zabbix, and VictorOps
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language (e.g. Shell, Perl, Python) to automate common tasks
- Knowledge of network and application security, network administration, and network storage integration
- Experience in ticketing tools like ServiceNow, JSD
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Solid team player
- Detail-oriented and commitment to quality work
- Ability to complete projects as scheduled
- Customer first attitude
- Open to work rotational shifts including US daytime shifts
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related area of study or equivalent experience with education-related technologies
- Experience in a 24x7x365 Operations and Virtualized Hosting environment
- Experience with tools like Jira, Opsmart
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.