Principal UX Designer
*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
We’re looking for a Principal UX Designer to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
This position is part of our User Experience & Design (UXD) organization, which plays a critical role in defining, designing, and developing Blackboard’s products and solutions. Our diverse and talented team is made up of user experience and design professionals who work across our product portfolios and web and mobile platforms to champion best-in-class design leadership throughout Blackboard. Our team believes that user experiences are as much about behavior and emotion as they are about usability, utility, and accessibility.
In this role you'll collaborate with product managers, product engineers, UX, AX & content designers to improve the visual design, usability, optimization and adoption of Blackboard’s design language system. We’re looking for an experienced Design Systems leader to coach and lead a growing team responsible for steadily evolving our product design language, patterns, guidelines, and cross-platform component libraries. Our design language system plays an essential role in supporting the success of our design and development teams to increase efficiency, improve quality and drive standards and consistency at scale throughout the entire design to delivery process.
This is a key leadership role where you'll have an opportunity to influence how we design at Blackboard including all aspects of our work from tooling and operational processes to internal governance and collaboration models.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on your experience.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Driving the evolution of Blackboard’s design language system and shaping and directing the vision and roadmap to continuously mature and improve the quality of product design and experiences
- Evangelizing the use of the design systems across teams and workstreams and establishing operational processes and mechanisms to drive adoption and optimization throughout the product ecosystem
- Coaching, managing, and leading a small design team and facilitating ideation, iteration, and implementation of the design system solutions with key partners and stakeholders
- Being accountable for defining and meeting key product and UX metrics and OKRs for the team
- Bringing the latest insights and best practices for design systems and being a thought leader within the design organization to influence the direction of design and dev operations
- Defining and creating high-impact, usable design libraries and creating new design elements and frameworks (for web and mobile) that create efficiency and consistency across the design to delivery process
- Collaborating with PMs, engineers, designers, and researchers in planning, prioritizing, and deploying design system solutions and evaluating the efficacy of proposed design patterns, guidelines, and components
- Providing regular design feedback to other designers and engineers and soliciting, synthesizing, and incorporating feedback from partners
- Establishing a robust and usable Figma components library, from foundational elements (e.g. type, color, sizing, spacing) to more complex component architecture (e.g. layouts, tables)
- Partnering with the Brand team to ensure consistency between the design system and the overarching visual brand language
- Contributing to design systems documentation, training materials, and onboarding
- Exemplifying excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills (up, down and across levels and disciplines)
- Owning component design from inception to delivery, including engineering collaboration, roll out plans and usability testing, usage guidelines, and representation in design tools such as Figma.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Design, Technology, or related field
- At least 8+ years of experience designing products and experiences, preferably in enterprise software, SaaS B2B product(s), with 5+ years building design systems
- A track record of defining and evolving design systems at scale with in-depth knowledge of UI/UX and design-thinking methodologies
- Proficiency with industry-standard tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Figma, Sketch, or any other prototyping tools
- Portfolio demonstrating expert craft, the ability to create exceptionally usable design libraries, and thoughtful consideration of many interdependent requirements
- Strong project management skills with ability to balance near-term priorities with long-term strategic goals with track record leading projects and teams to successful outcomes
- Strong leadership skills with ability and desire to mentor other designers
- Expert knowledge of modern, emerging web and mobile UI patterns and ability to apply best practices for developing responsive web components, with inclusivity, accessibility, and internationalization in mind
- Understanding of processes around governance and maintenance of large-scale design systems
- Proven technical understanding of how to build and architect scalable design systems and ensure brand continuity
- Strong communication skills and team player with excellent negotiation and presentation skills and ability to represent the UXD team throughout the company
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- Strong systems thinking approach
- Experience designing for both customer and users
- Previous experience in the education industry and e-learning technologies
- Background in user research that informs design exploration and solutions
Please provide samples of your work with your application.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
Blackboard has an office located in Bogota, Colombia as a hub for the LAC market.
- Located in Capital Towers center in the financial district
- Excellent and secure area to eat lunch, have a walk, or dine after office hours
- Benefits in prepaid medicine
- Easy access to public transportation close to two important avenues, Carrera 7 and Calle 100
- Free bike parking for employees and paid bike parking for visitors
- Multiple private spaces for virtual and face-to-face meetings
- Regular events like bring your dog to work day and ping-pong, foosball, and Mario Kart tournaments
- Sodexo card provided for employees
- Learn more about the Bogota office culture by checking out our Facebook page
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.