*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
At Blackboard, we believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices, but who we are as a company.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
We are building up a group within Blackboard focused on enterprise data services. This team’s mission is to bring data together from across Blackboard’s extensive product lines into our cloud-based data lake. We are the analytics and data experts at Blackboard. Our team enables other development teams to strategically and effectively utilize the data lake for a variety of Blackboard products. We deliver products and services for analytics, data science, business intelligence, and reporting.
A successful candidate will have a strong foundation in software design, software development, scaled infrastructure, containerization, enterprise build patterns, databases, pipeline development, and configuration management.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Learning quickly and developing creative solutions that encompass performance, reliability, maintainability, and security
- Applying hands-on technical design and implementation solutions using Java, Kubernetes, Helm and other components to support Blackboard products that utilize an expansive data lake
- Working with the development manager, product manager, and engineering team on projects related to system research, product design, product development, and defect resolution
- Being willing to respond to the unique challenges of delivering and maintaining cloud-based software including minimizing down-time, troubleshooting live production environments, and responding to client-reported issues
- Working with other engineering personnel to ensure consistency among products
- Through continued iteration on existing development processes, ensuring that we’re leading by example, fixing things that aren’t working and always improving our expectations of ourselves and others
- 3-5+ years of experience developing enterprise, serverless API solutions
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- Experience with big data: extraction, processing, filtering, and presenting large data quantities via AWS technologies, SQL, Python, and data pipelines
- Experience building in large-scale, cloud environments, AWS, cloud-based solution implementation and maintenance, domain driven design, and service-oriented architecture
- Experience implementing Web Services (REST API), authentication, CI/CD lifecycles and pipelines
- Experience working with Snowflake (or another cloud based data warehouse)
- Knowledge and experience with data transformation, stored procedures, tasks, and streams
- Expert knowledge of professional engineering best practices for the full SDLC, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences in a global environment
- Knowledge of service-oriented architecture (SOA) and web services
- AWS: S3, EC2, RDS, Lambda, IAM, SQS, SNS, CloudFront, API Gateway, VPC, EKS
- Databases: Snowflake, DynamoDB, Oracle, MySQL, MSSQL, Postgres, and other relational & non-relational data stores
- CI/CD tools: Github, AWS CodePipeline, Flyway/SnowChange
- Reporting: QuickSight, PowerBI, Tableau
- Data specific: Telemetry pipelines, ELK, New Relic, and other tools that collect, produce, and store large amounts of data
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
Blackboard has an office located in Bogota, Colombia as a hub for the LAC market.
- Located in Capital Towers center in the financial district
- Excellent and secure area to eat lunch, have a walk, or dine after office hours
- Benefits in prepaid medicine, dental plan, and wellness allowance
- Easy access to public transportation close to two important avenues, Carrera 7 and Calle 100
- Free parking for employees and paid parking for visitors
- Multiple private spaces for virtual and face-to-face meetings
- Regular events like bring your dog to work day and ping-pong, foosball, and Mario Kart tournaments
- Sodexo card provided for employees
- Daily budget to spend on beverage vending machines
- Learn more about the Bogota office culture by checking out our Facebook page
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: 490