Location: Chennai, India
Date Posted: Oct 18, 2021
Travel Requirements: None
We’re looking for a Software Engineer – Android Developer, to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
At Blackboard, we believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices, but who we are as a company.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
This role focuses on our Mobile application, which allows students to access the power of Blackboard's solutions anytime, anywhere. You'll help with building this student-specific mobile app that gives learners the information they want, the connections they crave, and the personalization they demand, on the go.
Blackboard’s Mobile Development team is revolutionizing the role of mobile technology in education. This team has made a tradition of producing multiple pioneering applications that change the way students and teachers approach education. A shared love of using and making great apps brings together this group of motivated, talented people.
This role will have primary accountability for developing Android mobile applications, integrating SDK’s in Android applications. Your primary responsibility will be to design and developing Android applications.
Specific responsibilities will include:
· Developing and maintaining effective relationships with other team members to understand requirements and functionality of the system
· Collaborating closely with the Product Owner, QA team, SDK team, and Backend team to govern intake and scheduling of projects and delivery of solutions
· Contributing to all phases of the Mobile App development lifecycle
· Translating application storyboards and use cases into functional applications
· Designing, building, and maintaining efficient, reusable, and reliable Android code
· Ensuring the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the applications
· Identifying bottlenecks and bugs, and devising solutions to these problems
· Helping to maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
· 2-5+ years of experience
· Bachelor’s/master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Hands-on experience in the full life cycle of Android application development
· Excellent knowledge in core Java & Kotlin
· Strong knowledge in RESTful web services; good working experience in remote data via REST and JSON
· Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
· Good Knowledge of Android SDK's, Push Notifications & Material Design
· Hands-on experience with Android studio, Eclipse & Gradle build system
· Experience with at least one of the development tools like Git, Gradle, Maven, Sonar, Artifactory etc.
· Understanding of Google’s Android design principles, coding design pattern (MVP, MVVM) and interface guidelines
· Experience with test-driven development, code testability standards, Mockito/JUnit
· Knowledge of SQLite, Room Database
· Agile project experience along with working on Agile tools like JIRA/Confluence
· Excellent problem-solving skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and time management skills
· GitHub and Continuous integration using Jenkins
· UI & UX experience and Locations & Map API's
· Knowledge of Objective-C and Swift
· Team player with great communication skills
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
Blackboard has an office in one of the biggest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India: Chennai.
· Located on OMR, the IT corridor of South Chennai
· Easy access to Velachery, Thiruvanmiyur Railway station and bus stop
· Very close to Tidel Park, Ascendas, and SRP Tools – Holiday Inn
· Office provides lunch Tuesday – Thursday and evening snacks Monday – Friday
· Office is situated behind Hotel Turyaa on the 5th floor of Rayala Techno Park
· Fun Committee, Happy Fete Team, Food Committee, and Sports Committee ensures fun at work
· ISR Team actively engages employees in contributing to various local charities
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: 583