Principal Consultant (Architect)
Remote – Colombia
*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
We’re looking for a Principal Consultant (Architect) to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
At Blackboard, we believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices, but who we are as a company.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
Blackboard’s Consulting Software Solutions team works with clients to solve a wide variety of technology challenges. Using both industry standard and cutting-edge technologies, our consultants develop, innovative, custom solutions that extend, enhance, and integrate Blackboard’s enterprise products.
The Principal Consultant (Architect) will play an integral role in the success of the Software Solution team within Blackboard Global Client Experience. Architects work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, and interface directly with clients to define requirements, draft specifications and implement software solutions.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Serving as an expert in Blackboard products, including their architecture, functionality, and deployment methodologies
- Designing and documenting architectural components within system of record and helping team members during implementation
- Developing front-end web technologies modules and libraries using REACT and Material UI frameworks to be consumed in micro front-end infrastructure
- Developing application prototypes in conjunction with Developers, Business Analysts, and other developers
- Implementing infrastructure as code using industry AWS frameworks such as: AWS CDK and SDK
- Being accountable for the project unit, integration, performance, and functional testing framework and metrics to generate test results for analysis
- Researching and experimenting with new technology that advances future projects
- Holding client-facing project reviews
- Working with managers to estimate work tasks and level of effort within project timeline
- Adhering to established delivery methodology, quality standards, and best practices
- Maintaining a flexible work schedule to meet client needs
- This role requires up to 20% travel
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent relevant bachelor’s degree experience
- 5-7+ years of software development lifecycle and associated processes
- Strong skills at front-end engineering using object-oriented Typescript, Async event management, and micro application frameworks (Angular, REACT and Prototype)
- Strong skills at backend engineering using object oriented NodeJS, Java, Non-relational DBs and other libraries use micro frontends frameworks
- Fluent in cloud based – micro services design and architecture patterns such as Loosely Coupled, Domain & Event Driven and other well-known patterns
- Specific experience in designing and developing micro frontends using AWS CloudFront and API Gateway along with NPM Artifactory
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate user-centered design principles into the architecture and design of user interfaces
- Strong understanding of RESTful API design and client consumption
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), analytical, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to learn new technologies as needed
- Demonstrated ability to work in a geographically distributed virtual team environment and to build relationships with internal and external organizations
- Demonstrated time management and prioritization skills, and ability to manage expectations effectively when handling multiple assignments simultaneously with competing deadlines
- Exceptional attention to detail, excellent work ethic and drive, great interpersonal skills, team oriented, and demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Fundamental understanding of bug tracking, versioning, and repository systems
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- 2-4+ years of experience on a client facing consulting capacity
- Previous experience in the education or knowledge management industry and e-learning technologies, including at least six months specifically with Blackboard technologies
- Fundamental understanding of and agile software development process methods
- General experience with other frontend frameworks
- Fluency in server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git/Stash/GitHub and Perforce
- Experience with mobile optimized responsive design
- Fundamental understanding of key usages of Confluence, Jira Bug Tracking, Jira Agile, versioning and repository systems
- Good working knowledge with AWS Cli platforms and Linux/Unix command line
- Working knowledge with behavior-driven development (BDD), unit-testing frameworks like Jest and automatized functional testing infrastructures
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
This role can be located remotely in Colombia.
Blackboard has an office located in Bogota, Colombia as a hub for the LAC market.
- Located in Capital Towers center in the financial district
- Excellent and secure area to eat lunch, have a walk, or dine after office hours
- Benefits in prepaid medicine, dental plan, and wellness allowance
- Easy access to public transportation close to two important avenues, Carrera 7 and Calle 100
- Free parking for employees and paid parking for visitors
- Multiple private spaces for virtual and face-to-face meetings
- Regular events like bring your dog to work day and ping-pong, foosball, and Mario Kart tournaments
- Sodexo card provided for employees
- Daily budget to spend on beverage vending machines
- Learn more about the Bogota office culture by checking out our Facebook page
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: 553