Associate Technical Consultant
We’re looking for a Junior Technical Consultant – Front End to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
At Blackboard, we believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices, but who we are as a company.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
The Software Solutions Team is focused on advancing learning fueled by data-informed decision-making. Blackboard’s Global Client Experience team works with clients to solve a wide variety of technology challenges. Using both industry standard and cutting-edge technologies, our consultants develop innovative, custom solutions that extend, enhance, and integrate Blackboard’s enterprise products. As a Junior Technical Consultant – Front End on this team, you will play an integral role in the success of the Software Solution team within Blackboard GCX Product Development.
A successful candidate will be able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and interface directly with clients to define requirements, draft specifications, and implement software solutions.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing on web application prototypes features in conjunction with Developers and Business Analysts
- Developing in an agile environment of front-end web technologies like AngularJS, React, and Material UI
- Creating applications that work well across browsers and platforms including responsive design for mobile support
- Being accountable for the project unit, integration, performance, and functional testing and results of the project
- Researching and experimenting with new technology that will advance future projects introducing efficiencies of overall development
- Reviewing client-facing projects
- Working with managers to estimate work tasks and level of effort within project timeline
- Adhering to established delivery methodology, quality standards, and best practices
- This role requires approximately 20% travel
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Design (e.g. user interaction, graphic, visual components, product) or equivalent relevant experience
- Minimum 1-2 years of prior relevant experience
- 1+ years of software development lifecycle and associated processes
- Fluency in cloud-based loosely couple architecture patterns, microservices design and domain/model architecture
- An understanding of HTML/CSS3 such as transformations, transitions, and events driven design
- Experience designing and developing web pages and web applications using well-known industry standards and languages including TypeScript
- Ability to incorporate user-centered design principles into the architecture and design of user interfaces
- Strong understanding of RESTful API design and client consumption
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Proven ability to learn new technologies as needed
- Ability to work in a geographically distributed virtual team environment and to build relationships with internal and external organizations
- Time management and prioritization skills; ability to manage expectations effectively when handling multiple assignments simultaneously with competing deadlines
- Exceptional attention to detail, excellent work ethic and drive, great interpersonal skills, team oriented, excellent problem-solving skills
- Fundamental understanding of bug tracking, versioning, and repository systems
- Ability to have a flexible work schedule to meet client needs
- 1-2+ years of experience in a client-facing consulting capacity
- Previous experience in the education or knowledge management industry and with e-learning technologies including at least six months specifically with Blackboard technologies
- A fundamental understanding of agile software development process methods
- General experience with the serverless technologies and CDN
- Fluency in server-side CSS pre-processing platforms such as LESS and SASS
- Fundamental use of standard digital tools (e.g. Confluence, Lucid Charts and others )
- Fundamental understanding of key usages Jira Bug Tracking, Jira Agile, versioning and repository systems
- A working knowledge of server platforms (Linux/Unix)
- A working knowledge of behavior-driven development, unit-testing frameworks and automatized functional testing infrastructures
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
Blackboard has an office in one of the biggest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India: Chennai.
- Located on OMR, the IT corridor of South Chennai
- Easy access to Velachery, Thiruvanmiyur Railway station and bus stop
- Very close to Tidel Park, Ascendas, and SRP Tools – Holiday Inn
- Office provides lunch Tuesday – Thursday and evening snacks Monday – Friday
- Office is situated behind Hotel Turyaa on the 5th floor of Rayala Techno Park
- Fun Committee, Happy Fete Team, Food Committee, and Sports Committee ensures fun at work
- ISR Team actively engages employees in contributing to various local charities
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: 585