Staff Software Engineer (Application Architect)
Recently combined with Anthology, Blackboard offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. The company’s mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about our company and career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
As Staff Software Engineer, you will join the team responsible for developing industry-leading SaaS products and web service platforms.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with various stakeholders to determine software requirements
- Hands-on technical designing, coding, and implementing of product features
- Collaborating technically with system architects and product designers, contributing to the overall architectural vision of cloud service infrastructure in support of Blackboard’s e-learning initiatives
- Enhancing and supporting existing cloud-based products; designing and implementing new features
- Communicating progress and escalating issues to management on time
- Acting as a lead engineer on the development team responsible for developing and testing features or fixing bugs on our industry-leading Community Engagement platform
- Ensure development team follows proper coding guidance. Code review and sign off to be provided periodically
- Assessing the systems architecture currently in place and working with technical staff to recommend solutions to improve it
- Mentoring junior team members and providing supervision, guidance to the development teams
- Collaborating in a cross-functional agile team to solve challenging technical problems with innovative solutions
- Following best practices and methodologies to product desired software on-time and with top-notch quality
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- At least 8 years of experience developing technology solutions, including, but not limited to, Operations/Engineering, Infrastructure/Database architecture, and applications development
- Ability to create proof of concepts, demos, and scripts from scratch or leverage reusable components
- Understanding of and ability to articulate common architectural patterns and design principles
- Exceptional object-oriented design and implementation skills
- Experience building highly available, scalable, distributed, and reliable Restful Web Services, API-based Microservices
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to act as a technical liaison between customers, engineering teams, and support
- Experience in relational databases like MySQL/Microsoft SQL Server, and NoSQL databases like DynamoDB/MongoDB
- Experience in AWS serverless architecture
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
- Presentation and whiteboarding skills with a high degree of comfort speaking with internal and external executives and technical teams
- Experience migrating or transforming legacy solutions to the cloud
- Exceptional object-oriented design and implementation skills in C# or Python programming
- Experience in front end frameworks such as Angular/React
- Broad technology experience on containers, serverless, CI/CD, observability & monitoring
- Experience working with various notification API suites like Twilio, Open Market
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
Blackboard has an office in one of the biggest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India: Chennai.
- Located on OMR, the IT corridor of South Chennai
- Easy access to Velachery, Thiruvanmiyur Railway station and bus stop
- Very close to Tidel Park, Ascendas, and SRP Tools – Holiday Inn
- Office provides lunch Tuesday – Thursday and evening snacks Monday – Friday
- Office is situated behind Hotel Turyaa on the 5th floor of Rayala Techno Park
- Fun Committee, Happy Fete Team, Food Committee, and Sports Committee ensures fun at work
- ISR Team actively engages employees in contributing to various local charities
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.