Recently combined with Anthology, Blackboard offers the largest EdTech ecosystem on a global scale, supporting over 150 million users in 80 countries. The company’s mission is to provide dynamic, data-informed experiences to the global education community so that learners and educators can achieve their goals.
We believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices but who we are as a company.
For more information about our company and career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
As Database Administrator within our Operations organization, you will support multiple databases in traditional hosting and cloud environments for Oracle and Postgres. You will also perform database and system troubleshooting relating to the performance of the Blackboard application.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Working with the migration team to execute cross-platform migration of database and application
- Using command-line Linux skills to perform various tasks
- Working with various teams to provide database support and troubleshooting for Oracle and Postgres environments
- Developing ad hoc queries in both Oracle and PostgreSQL databases
- Performing routine database maintenance as required
- Enhancing and developing scripts for reporting, data manipulation, and automation of administration tasks
- Reviewing databases for performance issues
- Analyzing databases to proactively identify issues
- Responding to escalations and attending follow up meetings
- Taking ownership of performance and capacity monitoring aspects of the DB
- Developing, documenting, and training team members on new solutions or procedures
- Administering, managing, and tuning high-transaction production server environment(s)
- Personally resolving issues to deliver solutions per accelerated timeframes
- Escalating issues for assistance as appropriate
- Participating in 24x7 on-call rotation
- At least 4 years of experience supporting large databases
- Hands-on command-line experience with database administration tasks for Oracle and Postgres
- Experience in performing and tuning
- Good knowledge of PLSQL and SQL
- Strong experience working in cloud environments involving various database services (preferably AWS)
- Willingness to learn and adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work within a team structure to develop innovative solutions to common issues
- Prior experience working in a DevOps environment
- Experience with troubleshooting of advanced database issues
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Skilled in Linux, Postgres, Oracle, performance tuning, and shell scripting
- Ability to learn new technologies and tools
- Ability and willingness to work 24/7 shift support (including night shifts)
- 4-5 years of experience supporting large databases
- Knowledge of MS SQL Server DBA
- Good knowledge of cloud services (AWS or Microsoft Azure)
- Previous experience in the education industry or with e-learning technologies
- Background in content/knowledge management, digital asset management
We have an office in one of the biggest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India: Chennai.
- Located on OMR, the IT corridor of South Chennai
- Easy access to Velachery, Thiruvanmiyur Railway station and bus stop
- Very close to Tidel Park, Ascendas, and SRP Tools – Holiday Inn
- Office provides lunch Tuesday – Thursday and evening snacks Monday – Friday
- Office is situated behind Hotel Turyaa on the 5th floor of Rayala Techno Park
- Fun Committee, Happy Fete Team, Food Committee, and Sports Committee ensures fun at work
- ISR Team actively engages employees in contributing to various local charities
- Option for remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.